“I am scared to try again because last time I lost 60 lbs and gained back 70 lbs.”
This is a common theme that I hear. My response is, “Well don’t try it again. Diets are not the answer and welcome to the over 90% of the population of people who’ve tried to diet. Let’s not diet. Let’s create an exciting LIFESTYLE and see what happens!”
It’s so scary thinking about the changes we have to make to lose weight. Well, what if we stop focusing on weight. Focusing on weight is just one (usually ineffective) way to measure health. Sure, we want the excess weight off of us but focusing on that will not be the best approach to a healthy lifestyle. Losing weight will be a byproduct of your lifestyle transformation. You cannot change your lifestyle too quickly, which is a huge turn off to many of us. However, if you work slowly and wisely while demonstrating grit, you will reach your goals…. You will have energy and unrestricted mobility!
The first step to overcoming this fear of trying again is finding what YOU want. Not what you should do, or what a diet tells you you shouldn’t do; rather, what do you DESIRE! Shift away from weight goals for now. Do you want to be more mobile for your grandchildren? Do you want to have more energy while at work? Do you want to feel less bloated? Do you want to prevent Type II Diabetes? Do you want to feel more confident about your body? It could be so much more. Just remember… Not is not a goal!
You can use the following exercise to start to shift your thinking to what you do want:
- Get a clean sheet of paper, or open document on your computer/tab.
- Simply write down, “Why do I want to change my lifestyle?”
- Do free-association writing. Just write down whatever comes to you mind for at least 5 minutes. This is a way to let your subcortical brain start to manifest your true desires.
- Be kind. While writing just allow the words to flow. You do not need to care if it makes sense at all. Just keep writing and writing. It could go way off topic. Just see what happens.
- After you’ve been writing for at least 5 minutes you can stop at anytime. Just put the paper down and you don’t have to touch it for now.
- Come back one day later and repeat steps 2-6.
- Give it 24 more hours and re-read what you have written. Pay attention to any other thoughts that have come up over the past 3 days and see what you notice. Any themes? Any answers?
- Get a clean paper/screen and write down “I want to change my lifestyle because (insert your answer).
Keep this answer in a place where you can see regularly. Look at it daily. Then when you feel like that fear of trying again is lowered you can choose one small step to take!
Don’t let fears drive your life! Take control and empower yourself one moment at a time.
Interested in Dr Drew Brazier’s Weightloss and Lifestyle Transformation workshop? Register here! Not in your area? Sign up for our mailing list to be the first to hear about our new workshops and upcoming webcasts!